Trey has led the Life desk's transition to dot-com posting in the past few weeks. Aside from running the show and managing the workload, he has been a patient teacher to those who still need some coaching. ... And despite the extra demands on his attention, he continues to dazzle on the print side." — Kinsey Wilson, former USA TODAY executive editor, in an e-mail to the newspaper's staff, October 2007
- A versatile writer and editor who’s earned national and regional recognition for his B2B coverage
- A modern journalist who's immersed in online publishing on all platforms — content management systems, e-mail newsletters, social media, videos and more
- An experienced copy editor who transforms raw text into accurate, engaging content while meeting strict production deadlines
- A former award-winning headline writer at USA TODAY who makes content stand out in print and online
NAIOP, the Commercial Real Estate Development Association, Herndon, Va., August 2018-present
Managing Editor, Publications
- Working closely with the editor in chief, oversee the day-to-day operations of Development magazine, the association's quarterly publication for its members, including copy editing, content editing and composing display text (headlines, cutlines, etc.).
- Manage and communicate with freelancers and outside contributors to continually source content for the magazine.
- Coordinate photography, graphics and other visual elements with outside designer.
- Write articles and blog posts as needed.
- Assist in editing content for the association's Knowledge and Research division, including research projects, white papers, case studies and more.
- Manage communications with magazine's editorial board, soliciting input and feedback on proposed, submitted and published articles; scheduling and prepping for quarterly conference calls; and preparing and circulating highlights of items discussed during each call.
- Collect and curate news links for NAIOP's weekly Source e-mail newsletter.
Door & Window Market (DWM) magazine, Stafford, Va., December 2014-August 2018
- Conceived, wrote and edited a wide range of content for an award-winning website/magazine that covers the North American residential door and window industry, including feature stories, breaking-news items, blog posts and more.
- Managed a team of contributing writers that included 10 bloggers and six columnists.
- Mentored young staffers in writing and editing.
- Executed production schedules for print magazine published nine times a year.
- Created daily e-mail newsletter for industry stakeholders.
- Managed all social media for DWM and shared content on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Represented DWM at industry events across North America and Europe.
- Appeared in regular video newscasts.
- Performed copy-editing duties for four other magazines published by parent company Key Media & Research.
2019 Bronze Medal, Mid-Atlantic Region, American Society of Business Publication Editors (ASBPE) Awards of Excellence: News Analysis, "Drugs in the Workplace: An Issue of Substance"
2019 Bronze Medal, Mid-Atlantic Region, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: Technical Article, "The Factory of the Future"
2018 National Bronze Medal and Mid-Atlantic Region Gold Medal, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: News Analysis, "Lights Out for Energy Star? It Could Happen..."
2018 Silver Medal, Mid-Atlantic Region, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: Single-Topic Coverage By a Team, "Robotics, Automation and More"
2017 National Finalist, Jesse H. Neal Awards: Best News Coverage, "Venezuela Seizes U.S. Glass Factory"
2016 Silver Medal, Mid-Atlantic Region, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: Feature Article - General Interest, "Where Have All the Workers Gone?"
USA TODAY, McLean, Va., September 2000-December 2014
Multi-platform Editor/Copy Editor, Life
- Crafted headlines, edited copy, enforced grammar and style, formatted content and performed many other tasks across all publishing platforms.
- Wrote breaking-news stories and blog posts that generated significant Web traffic and social media engagement.
- Shared USA TODAY content via branded social media accounts on Facebook and Twitter.
- Published and programmed fresh content on mobile and desktop platforms nightly, including staff and wire stories, interactive pieces and photo galleries, and breaking-news alerts.
- Assisted in editing content for USA WEEKEND magazine and other specialty publications.
On Point Award, May 2014: Recognized as part of the team of writers who launched Entertain This, USA TODAY's hugely successful pop-culture blog.
Excellence in headlines: Best print headline in USA TODAY for July 2014. Best print headline in USA TODAY for May 2014. Best print headline in USA TODAY for December 2013. Prior to that, a 13-time winner in USA TODAY's monthly Hainer Awards competition from 2001-2006.
Best of USA TODAY 2009: Part of a team recognized for exceptional deadline coverage of the death of Michael Jackson.
Best of USA TODAY 2008: Part of a team recognized for exceptional deadline coverage of the Oscars.
USA TODAY Loaner Program, May-September 2000: One of 12 Gannett journalists selected from thousands across the country for a four-month residency/internship working as a full-time staff member in USA TODAY’s newsroom near Washington, D.C. Hired immediately after completing the program.
Asheville Citizen-Times, Asheville, N.C., June 1993-September 2000
Copy Editor/Page Designer, News and Sports
Lenoir News-Topic, Lenoir, N.C., December 1989-June 1993
Sports Editor/Sports Writer
Hickory Daily Record, Hickory, N.C., January-December 1989
Appalachian State University, Boone, N.C., B.S., Communications
Available upon request.