- A versatile writer and editor who’s earned national and regional recognition for his B2B coverage
- A modern journalist who's immersed in online publishing on all platforms — content management systems, e-mail newsletters, social media, videos and more
- An experienced copy editor who transforms raw text into accurate, engaging content while meeting strict production deadlines
- A former award-winning headline writer at USA TODAY who makes content stand out in print and online
NAIOP, the Commercial Real Estate Development Association, Herndon, Va., August 2018-present
Managing Editor, Publications
- Working closely with the editor in chief, oversee the day-to-day operations of Development magazine, the association's quarterly publication for its members, including copy editing, content editing and composing display text (headlines, cutlines, etc.).
- Manage and communicate with freelancers and outside contributors to continually source content for the magazine.
- Coordinate photography, graphics and other visual elements with contributors and a page designer.
- Write articles and blog posts as needed.
- Assist in editing content for the association's Knowledge and Research division, including research projects, white papers, case studies and more. Some of these reports have been cited in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal and other major media outlets.
- Manage communications with the magazine's editorial board, soliciting input and feedback on proposed, submitted and published articles; schedule and prep for quarterly conference calls; and prepare and circulate highlights of items discussed during each call.
2022 Bronze Medal, Mid-Atlantic Region, American Society of Business Publication Editors (ASBPE) Awards of Excellence: Q&A, "Suburbs, Edge Cities and Santa Fe: A Conversation with Joel Garreau"
2022 Bronze Medal, Mid-Atlantic Region, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: News Analysis, "The Vaccines are Here. What Happens Next?"
2021 Finalist, Magazine of the Year, ASBPE Awards of Excellence
2021 National Gold Medal and Mid-Atlantic Region Gold Medal, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: Single-Topic Coverage by a Team, "Special Issue: COVID-19"
2021 National Finalist, Jesse H. Neal Awards, Best Single Issue of a Tabloid/Newspaper/Magazine, "Special Issue: COVID-19"
2021 National Bronze Medal and Mid-Atlantic Region Silver Medal, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: Feature Series, "COVID-19's Impact on Commercial Real Estate"
2021 Bronze Medal, Mid-Atlantic Region, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: Trade Show/Conference Coverage, "I.CON Virtual Conference"
2020 National Bronze Medal and Mid-Atlantic Region Silver Medal, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: Single-Topic Coverage by a Team, "Technology Disrupts Commercial Real Estate"
2020 Bronze Medal, Mid-Atlantic Region, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: Trade Show/Conference Coverage, "NAIOP's CRE.Converge 2019 in Los Angeles"
Key Media & Research, Stafford, Va., December 2014-August 2018
Editor, Door and Window Market Magazine
- Conceived, wrote and edited a wide range of content for an award-winning website/magazine that covers the North American residential door and window industry, including feature stories, breaking-news items, blog posts and more.
- Managed a team of contributing writers that included 10 bloggers and six columnists.
- Mentored young staffers in writing and editing.
- Executed production schedules for print magazine published nine times a year.
- Created daily e-mail newsletter for industry stakeholders.
- Managed all social media for DWM and shared content on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Represented DWM at industry events across North America and Europe.
- Appeared in regular video newscasts.
- Performed copy-editing duties for four other magazines published by parent company Key Media & Research.
2019 Bronze Medal, Mid-Atlantic Region, American Society of Business Publication Editors (ASBPE) Awards of Excellence: News Analysis, "Drugs in the Workplace: An Issue of Substance"
2019 Bronze Medal, Mid-Atlantic Region, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: Technical Article, "The Factory of the Future"
2018 National Bronze Medal and Mid-Atlantic Region Gold Medal, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: News Analysis, "Lights Out for Energy Star? It Could Happen..."
2018 Silver Medal, Mid-Atlantic Region, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: Single-Topic Coverage By a Team, "Robotics, Automation and More"
2017 National Finalist, Jesse H. Neal Awards: Best News Coverage, "Venezuela Seizes U.S. Glass Factory"
2016 Silver Medal, Mid-Atlantic Region, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: Feature Article - General Interest, "Where Have All the Workers Gone?"
USA TODAY, McLean, Va., September 2000-December 2014
Multi-Platform Editor/Copy Editor, Life
- Crafted headlines, edited copy, enforced grammar and style, formatted content and performed many other tasks across all publishing platforms.
- Wrote breaking-news stories and blog posts that generated significant Web traffic and social media engagement.
- Shared USA TODAY content via branded social media accounts on Facebook and Twitter.
- Published and programmed fresh content on mobile and desktop platforms nightly, including staff and wire stories, interactive pieces and photo galleries, and breaking-news alerts.
- Assisted in editing content for USA WEEKEND magazine and other specialty publications.
On Point Award, May 2014: Recognized as part of the team of writers who launched Entertain This, USA TODAY's hugely successful pop-culture blog.
Excellence in headlines: Best print headline in USA TODAY for July 2014. Best print headline in USA TODAY for May 2014. Best print headline in USA TODAY for December 2013. Prior to that, a 13-time winner in USA TODAY's monthly Hainer Awards competition from 2001-2006.
Best of USA TODAY 2009: Part of a team recognized for exceptional deadline coverage of the death of Michael Jackson.
Best of USA TODAY 2008: Part of a team recognized for exceptional deadline coverage of the Oscars.
USA TODAY Loaner Program, May-September 2000: One of 12 Gannett journalists selected from thousands across the country for a four-month residency/internship working as a full-time staff member in USA TODAY’s newsroom near Washington, D.C. Hired immediately after completing the program.
Asheville Citizen-Times, Asheville, N.C., June 1993-September 2000
Page One Editor; Copy Editor/Page Designer, News and Sports
Lenoir News-Topic, Lenoir, N.C., December 1989-June 1993
Sports Editor/Sports Writer
Hickory Daily Record, Hickory, N.C., January-December 1989
Appalachian State University, Boone, N.C., B.S., Communications
Available upon request.