● An accomplished, versatile editor and writer who has earned national recognition for his B2B journalism.
● A veteran journalist who has deep experience with daily deadlines in digital publishing, e-mail newsletter production, printed media, social media and more.
● An award-winning headline writer who makes content stand out across all publishing platforms.
● A former multiplatform editor/copy editor at USA TODAY who values accuracy and readability and thrives in fast-paced media environments.
NAIOP, the Commercial Real Estate Development Association, Herndon, Va., August 2018-present
Managing Editor, Publications
● Working closely with the editor-in-chief, manage the day-to-day operations of Development magazine, the association's award-winning quarterly publication for its members, including copy editing, content editing and composing display text (headlines, cutlines, etc.).
● Work with freelancers, NAIOP staff and outside contributors to continually source content for the website and magazine.
● Coordinate photography, graphics and other visual elements with outside designer.
● Research and write feature stories, shorter articles and blog posts as needed.
● Assist in posting content to Development magazine's website.
● Manage Development magazine's Twitter account (@DevMag_NAIOP).
● Closely monitor performance of online content via Google Analytics.
● Assist in editing content for the association's Knowledge and Research division, including research projects, white papers, case studies and more. These are frequently cited in major media outlets such as the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal.
● Manage communications with magazine's editorial board, soliciting input and feedback on proposed, submitted and published articles; scheduling and prepping for quarterly conference calls; and preparing and circulating highlights of items discussed during each call.
HONORS AND AWARDS
2023 Silver Medal, Mid-Atlantic Region, American Society of Business Publication Editors (ASBPE) Awards of Excellence: Individual Profile, "A 'Calming Presence' at the Helm"
2022 Bronze Medal, Mid-Atlantic Region, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: Q&A, "Suburbs, Edge Cities and Santa Fe: A Conversation with Joel Garreau"
2022 Bronze Medal, Mid-Atlantic Region, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: News Analysis, "The Vaccines are Here. What Happens Next?"
2021 Finalist, Magazine of the Year, ASBPE Awards of Excellence
2021 National Gold Medal and Mid-Atlantic Region Gold Medal, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: Single-Topic Coverage by a Team, "Special Issue: COVID-19"
2021 National Finalist, Jesse H. Neal Awards, Best Single Issue of a Tabloid/Newspaper/Magazine, "Special Issue: COVID-19"
2021 National Bronze Medal and Mid-Atlantic Region Silver Medal, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: Feature Series, "COVID-19's Impact on Commercial Real Estate"
2021 Bronze Medal, Mid-Atlantic Region, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: Trade Show/Conference Coverage, "I.CON Virtual Conference"
2020 National Bronze Medal and Mid-Atlantic Region Silver Medal, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: Single-Topic Coverage by a Team, "Technology Disrupts Commercial Real Estate"
2020 Bronze Medal, Mid-Atlantic Region, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: Trade Show/Conference Coverage, "NAIOP's CRE.Converge 2019 in Los Angeles"
Key Media & Research, Stafford, Va., December 2014-August 2018
Editor, Door and Window Market Magazine
● Conceived, wrote and edited a wide range of digital and print content for Door and Window Market (DWM), an award-winning website/magazine that covers the residential fenestration industry. This included online breaking-news items, blog posts, in-depth feature stories, product descriptions and more.
● Created daily e-mail newsletter targeting key members of the fenestration industry.
● Managed social media channels for DWM and shared content via branded accounts on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram.
● Executed production schedules for print magazine published nine times a year.
● Appeared in regular video newscasts for DWM; also wrote scripts and blocked out action.
● Attended trade shows and industry events across North America and Europe as a representative of Door and Window Market magazine.
● Served as a contributing editor for USGlass magazine.
● Helped copy-edit magazines and web content for company's other publications.
HONORS AND AWARDS
2019 Bronze Medal, Mid-Atlantic Region, American Society of Business Publication Editors (ASBPE) Awards of Excellence: News Analysis, "Drugs in the Workplace: An Issue of Substance"
2019 Bronze Medal, Mid-Atlantic Region, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: Technical Article, "The Factory of the Future"
2018 National Bronze Medal and Mid-Atlantic Region Gold Medal, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: News Analysis, "Lights Out for Energy Star? It Could Happen..."
2018 Silver Medal, Mid-Atlantic Region, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: Single-Topic Coverage By a Team, "Robotics, Automation and More"
2017 National Finalist, Jesse H. Neal Awards: Best News Coverage, "Venezuela Seizes U.S. Glass Factory"
2016 Silver Medal, Mid-Atlantic Region, ASBPE Awards of Excellence: Feature Article - General Interest, "Where Have All the Workers Gone?"
USA TODAY, McLean, Va., September 2000-December 2014
Multiplatform Editor/Copy Editor, Life
● Crafted headlines, edited copy, enforced grammar and style, formatted content and performed many other tasks across all platforms, with a strong focus on daily digital publishing from 2007 to 2014.
● Wrote online breaking-news stories and blog posts that generated significant Web traffic -- more than 10 million pageviews from August 2012 to December 2014.
● Published and programmed fresh content nightly on USA TODAY's digital platforms (mobile and desktop), including stories, photo galleries and breaking-news alerts.
● Shared USA TODAY content via branded social media accounts on Facebook and Twitter.
● Assisted in editing content for USA WEEKEND magazine and other specialty publications.
● Monitored performance of online content via Google Analytics and Omniture.
HONORS AND AWARDS
On Point Award, May 2014: Recognized as part of the team of writers who launched Entertain This, USA TODAY's hugely successful pop-culture blog.
Excellence in headlines: Best print headline in USA TODAY for July 2014. Best print headline in USA TODAY for May 2014. Best print headline in USA TODAY for December 2013. Prior to that, a 13-time winner in USA TODAY's monthly Hainer Awards competition from 2001-2006.
Best of USA TODAY 2009: Part of a team recognized for exceptional deadline coverage of the death of Michael Jackson.
Best of USA TODAY 2008: Part of a team recognized for exceptional deadline coverage of the Oscars.
USA TODAY Loaner Program, May-September 2000: One of 12 Gannett journalists selected from thousands across the country for a four-month residency/internship working as a full-time staff member in USA TODAY’s newsroom near Washington, D.C. Hired immediately after completing the program.
Asheville Citizen-Times, Asheville, N.C., June 1993-September 2000
Page One Editor; Copy Editor/Page Designer, News and Sports
Lenoir News-Topic, Lenoir, N.C., December 1989-June 1993
Sports Editor/Sports Writer
Hickory Daily Record, Hickory, N.C., January-December 1989
Appalachian State University, Boone, N.C., B.S., Communications
Available upon request.