- A versatile, experienced editor and writer who builds extraordinary engagement across digital and print platforms.
- An experienced print journalist who also excels at every aspect of online publishing — mobile and desktop programming, social media strategy and website analytics.
- An award-winning headline writer who makes content stand out on social media and search engines.
Door & Window Market (DWM) magazine, Stafford, Va., December 2014-present
- Conceive, write and edit a wide range of content for an award-winning website/magazine that covers the residential fenestration industry, including feature stories, breaking-news items, product descriptions, blog posts and more.
- Manage a team of contributing writers that includes 10 bloggers and six columnists.
- Create daily e-mail newsletter for stakeholders in the fenestration industry.
- Conceive social media strategy for DWM and share content via branded accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Represent DWM at trade shows and industry events across North America and Europe.
- Execute production schedules for print magazine published nine times a year.
- Appear in regular video newscasts for DWM.
- Serve as chief copy editor for four other magazines published by parent company Key Communications.
2017 Finalist, Jesse H. Neal Awards: Best News Coverage, "Venezuela Seizes U.S. Glass Factory."
2016 Silver Medalist, American Society of Business Publication Editors (ASBPE) Awards of Excellence, Mid-Atlantic Region: Feature Article - General Interest, "Where Have All the Workers Gone?"
USA TODAY, McLean, Va., September 2000-December 2014
Multiplatform Editor, Life
- Crafted headlines, edited copy, enforced grammar and style, formatted content and performed many other tasks across all publishing platforms.
- Wrote breaking-news stories and blog posts that generated significant Web traffic -- more than 10 million pageviews from August 2013 to December 2014.
- Shared USA TODAY content via branded social media accounts on Facebook and Twitter.
- Published and programmed fresh content on mobile and desktop platforms nightly, including staff and wire stories, interactive pieces and photo galleries, and breaking-news alerts.
- Assisted in editing content for USA WEEKEND magazine and other specialty publications.
On Point Award, May 2014: Recognized as part of the team of writers who launched Entertain This!, USA TODAY's hugely successful pop-culture blog.
Excellence in headlines: Best print headline in USA TODAY for July 2014. Best print headline in USA TODAY for May 2014. Best print headline in USA TODAY for December 2013. Prior to that, a 13-time winner in USA TODAY's monthly Hainer Awards competition from 2001-2006.
USA TODAY Loaner Program, May-September 2000: Selected from thousands of Gannett journalists across the country for a four-month residency/internship working as a full-time staff member in USA TODAY’s newsroom near Washington, D.C. Hired immediately after completing the program.
Asheville Citizen-Times, Asheville, N.C., June 1993-September 2000
Copy Editor, News and Sports
- Edited copy, designed pages, wrote headlines and performed many other tasks for 55,000-circulation daily morning newspaper.
- Edited and designed Page One and the main news section four days a week (1996-2000).
- While in Sports (1993-1996), edited and designed the entire section four days a week, including Sundays.
Finalists, Gannett Freedom of Information Award, 1999 (group award): Recognized along with the newspaper's staff as finalists in the prestigious competition. Edited copy, wrote headlines and designed pages for a body of work that demonstrated the Citizen-Times' commitment to the First Amendment.
You Count Awards: Twice named Employee of the Month.
Lenoir News-Topic, Lenoir, N.C., December 1989-June 1993
Sports Editor, Sports Writer
- Directed coverage, wrote and edited stories, and designed pages for a small daily afternoon newspaper. Supervised one full-time and three part-time staff members
- Began as a sports writer and was promoted to sports editor in September 1990.
Hickory Daily Record, Hickory, N.C., January 1989-December 1989
- Covered high school and college sports.
- Assisted sports editor with page designs and copy editing as needed.
SKILLS AND EXPERTISE
Proficient in most major blogging software (Typepad, Wordpress, Blogger). Working knowledge of Visual Revenue, Google Analytics, Chartbeat and Omniture (Web traffic analytics). Experienced in Dataminr for News (content discovery) and Real Magnet (e-mail newsletters). Proficient in CCI NewsGate and CCI News Desk (newspaper publishing). Working knowledge of DreamWeaver (Web design).
FenestrationAssociate, American Architectural Manufacturers Association (AAMA), February 2016
Appalachian State University, Boone, N.C., B.S., Communications
Available upon request.